Wednesday, March 25, 2015

World Cup 2002: Best World Cup In My Life.

Oops, sorry, I forgot to post it. I save it as draft because I don't have picture yet yesterday. My bad.

Anyway, If you asked me which world cup is the best, I would answer world cup 2002 in Japan and South Korea. When I was young, I watched the final together with all my friend even though germany lost. (I was betting on germany). In this post, I want to post more from the Korea side, what is the benefit of World Cup on 2002.

World cup 2002 was memorable for South Korea since this is the first time in South Korea history to host this event even though Japan also host it together. In addition, this is the first time that South Korea become the center of attention of the whole world. In term of performance, South Korea did the best among all country participated although they are the 4th. South Korea on quarter final unexpectedly beat Italy, one of the soccer giant in the world and surprised everyone. Not only that, South Korea was also the last Asian country that got eliminated on World cup itself. This golden era football might be ended, but the economical and international relationship between South Korea and the other is going on until now.

What I think improved in Korea after and during world cup was economical growth. Before South Korea hosted world cup, this country was overshadow by two biggest asian country such as Japan and China.  During the world cup, South Korea became the center of attention of everyone. Sports fans, media such as newspaper and television, and even businessman pouring in South Korea and contribute on rapid increase on jobs and economical growth. After the world cup, countless people still visiting Korea and Korean become known throughout the world thanks to not only South Korea hosting it, but also the national team who won 4th place on this event. Based on the website on 2010, South Africa was trying to learn from Korea about hosting the world cup since Korea successfully increase their GDP around 0.54% and 0.48% of it comes from tourism. World cup really help and improve Korea especially from tourism.

For the International relationship, this world cup introduce what Korean culture is toward all the people around the world by media and tourism. On my point of view, I didn't know South Korea except the flag before this event happen. During World Cup, I couldn't believe that Korea can manage their way to semifinal and get into top 4. This is my starting point of  "Unserstanding Korea" in my life. Image fixed by world cup risen up the chin of all Korean. In addition, South Korea also gain trust from other country after successfully manage world cup on 2002 too. This safety increase the percentage of tourism toward Korea. Hosting this event can improve greatly on globalization of the country itself and South Korea maximized this oppotunity from this event.

So what's the connection between Korea Crisis?
Before the World Cup started, South Korea is in image crisis.Even though the economical grow rapidly, South Korea not doesn't have, but doesn't know, how to attract foreigners to visit their country. Only a few people knew Jeju island or beautiful mountain of South Korea before 2002. Almost in history, Korean attraction has been overshadow by China (such as Kung fu movie) and Japan (cartoon, landsite and drama I guess). World Cup sparkle South Korea, and I think this is the starting of Korean wave in the world. At the time where South Korea almost forgotten due to 2006 World Cup on Germany and 2010 World Cup on South Africa, K-pop arise and improving the image of South Korea itself. World Cup did affect greatly and Korean image arise from there. 





No comments:

Post a Comment